The Quinta is located in the heart of the historic village of Couto do Mosteiro. The village prides itself on its ancient history and its past. With its municipal autonomy and noble atmosphere, it is still very evident in the land and its people.
Couto do Mosteiro belonged to the Order of the Templars, with a monastery since the year of 915, fact that would have given name to the parish, long before the foundation of Portugal itself. As an evidence of that time, you can still find today the beautiful and well-preserved Church right across the street from Quinta Lusitânia.
It is important to mention that during the third French invasion of Portugal in 1810, Marshal Massena decided to take the route between Viseu and Coimbra passing through Santa Comba Dão, which took him to Couto do Mosteiro, where some of the Portuguese and British officers from the Duke of Wellington’s regiment stayed on the Quinta. The first fights between the troops happened only 100 meters away from the farm.
The Quinta has existed for over 200 years and by the farm have passed several political, artistic and cultural figures of the Portuguese society. Its founders were explorers and businessmen in Africa in the Belgian Congo between the 19th and 20th century. Still today, our Quinta is known as “The Quinta” in Santa Comba Dão, credit for its former importance in town due to its agricultural production